Registered Mental Health Nurse
Towerview care provides specialist care for working age and older people living with dementia, mental health issues and complex needs that may challenge. Our cheerful and compassionate nursing team carries out a wide range of general and personal care tasks, offering our ladies and gentlemen emotional as well as physical care in spacious and secure communities.
Our registered mental health nurse team is responsible for planning and providing medical and nursing care to our ladies and gentlemen who have dementia and a range of mental health and physical issues. Our registered mental health nurses work as part of a team of nursing staff which includes a matron, registered general and learning difficulties nurses.
Duties include providing nursing care, administering medications, writing and maintaining care plans and regularly assessing the emotional, social and care needs of those who reside with us. They also liaise with allied professionals, supervise care staff, and undertake management responsibilities for shifts as directed.
Registered Mental Health Nurses Report to – Modern Matron / Home Manager
*Throughout this document, individual refers to people that residing at Towerview
- To promote, supervise and ensure that high standards of personal and nursing care are adhered to – under your responsibilities as a registered nurse (under NMC)
- To promote and ensure high standards of professional practice are maintained which are conducive to the physical, emotional, social, intellectual and spiritual needs of the individuals
- To ensure that all policies and procedures are adhered to throughout the service
- To provide person-centred care in a safe, warm and friendly environment – in conjunction with Towerview Care’s visions and values
- To carry out the role of named nurse for designated individuals
- To implement the requirements of the Care Quality Commission (CQC) in accordance with the Care Standards Act 2000 and the Mental Capacity Act 2005
- Meeting and adhering to all NMC professional codes of conduct
- Day to day running of the home when on duty – nurses are the professional in charge of the home when on duty
- To maintain the professional integrity of the home and represent its interests in any dealings with other bodies, groups or individuals
- To ensure that the highest standards of care are applied by staff
- To co-operate with CQC inspector and inspections
- To supervise and carry out all nursing procedures to the standards adopted by the service as Good Practice
- Promote and support effective communication throughout the service
- Ensure training is attended and up to date
- Ensure revalidation and PIN remains in date
- Maintain infection control procedures
- Receive Clinical and Management supervision a minimum of quarterly.
- To receive an annual appraisal.
- Be responsible for medication ordering, stock control and auditing with the pharmacist in accordance with Health Authority Regulations
Care and support of individuals
- To support in decision making – ensuring appropriate capacity is known and appropriate support sourced if required
- To ensure that positive therapeutic relationships are formed with all individuals whom you are caring for
- Have working knowledge of all individuals who you support care plans, risk assessments and treatment pathways in place
- To be an effective presence on the home with a daily contribution to the care and support of individuals
- To promote relationships which enable each service user to participate in social activities both within the home and in the community – supporting and directing good quality of life
- To ensure the provision of health care arrangements – access to GP, chiropodist, dentist and other health care professionals
- To ensure the safe storage, management and administration of all medications in accordance with the care standards act, medication act 1968 and the homes policies and procedures
- Maintain good/accurate written nursing care reports on all individual’s daily care
- Ensure all records are filed correctly and securely
Named nurse role
- To complete a standard weekly review of what has been completed/carried out to evidence PCP and activities
- To effectively manage the care planning, risk assessment and treatment pathway for your allocated individuals
- To communicate regularly (no less than monthly)with family, next of kin, a person identified as important to the individual
- To spend weekly 1:1 time with your allocated individuals
- To ensure that all relevant documentation is completed and up to date for you allocated individuals
- To manage and prepare documentation required for CPA and requested from CCG’s
- To ensure all financial matters are managed appropriately and that the individual has the required and legal support needed
- To manage the deployment of staff ensuring homes are adequately staffed
- To ensure staff have an effective induction into your service
- To completed Clinical Supervision and Appraisal of health care support staff within your team – ensuring staff education, knowledge and training is up to date
- To work alongside your staff team and provide support and leadership for staff
- To provide and support staff with training and skill development – maintaining training records and support NVQ completion
- Ensure all team members are aware of any changes in care to be given, liaise with Matron on all changes implemented
Premises and Service
- Be diligent in all aspects of health and safety policies (awareness of your responsibility under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974) and COSHH regulations, identify and record/report any concerns
- Participate in the implementation and maintenance of quality assurance policies and systems
- Respect and maintain the confidentiality of all matters they may learn in the source of their employment. Under the requirements of the GDPR guidelines
- Ensure all internal and external audits are completed, and any issues to be reported to the Home Manager and Matron.
This Job description above indicates only the main duties and responsibilities of the position; it is not intended as an exhaustive list. Towerview Care reserves the right to amend this job description from time to time, according to business need and individual needs. Any changes will be confirmed in writing. Please note that you share the responsibility for making suggestions to alter the scope of your duties to improve the effectiveness of the position.
If you would like to join our superhero team, please click here.